This recipe is from July, a member of the SolarCooking yahoogroup. Thanks, July, for sharing it with us!
Gluten-free Pumpkin Sourdough Bread/Cake
We experimented with this gluten-free pumpkin bread for three or four weeks now. This is by far the best iteration. It holds together fairly well,it has a nice sponge and is moist. (January 21, 2012 - Mesa, AZ)
Our winter gluten intolerant guest who stayed over the holidays gave it rave reviews. I'd like to hear from others who make this recipe as I no longer have a reason to do any gluten-free cooking. [You can contact July through the Yahoo Solar Cooking group here.]
1. Pulverize flax seeds with spice mill or blender. Add to 1/4 cup of boiling hot water. It forms a very viscous/gelatinous mixture.
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl. (pulverized rice and quinoa to flour)
3. Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl including the flax seed glop.
4. Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients by thirds.
5. Oil baking pan, line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Place in solar cooker, cook until toothpick comes out clean 2 to 3 hours.
* "Sourdough" starter for this recipe and other gluten-free recipes is made from steel cut oats. Just make the starter use 1/3 cup water to 1/3 cup steel cut oats pulverized with blender or spice mill. Mix together with a half teaspoon yeast in a glass jar lightly covered for three days. Mix in another third cup of water and steel cut oats, pulverized of course. Let rise until it's frothy, usually another eight hours. Use and recharge afterwards. Use it about once a week if you keep it in the refrigerator. Use it every day if keeping at room temperature.
** I used extra-virgin olive oil.
About the solar cooker
Pretty much any solar cooker will do for the above recipe but July used a car shade solar cooker. You can see a partial photo of it in the mosaic of photos above. Below is a fuller photo of her cooker being used to cook a turkey in late November. See the car sunshade solar cooker page for more about this type of cooker.