This recipe is from July, a member of the SolarCooking yahoogroup. Thanks, July, for sharing it with us!
Winter Solstice Sourdough Sunshine Cake
We made a cake today in the car shade funnel cooker. It is moist and delectable. While it is difficult to share a slice with you we can share the recipe. Try it. (December 12, 2011 - Mesa, AZ)
Basic Vanilla Cake (sourdough)
1. Whisk sugar, baking soda, salt and flour together.
2. Cream oil, egg, applesauce, sour cream, together.
3. Mix in starter, then the vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients by thirds.
Place in an 8 inch baking pan, then in whatever solar pot system used in your solar cooker. Bake until toothpick comes out clean. Today this was two and one half hours before we checked; it may have been less time.
The tangerine frosting
Only because the tangerines are ripening right now we made tangerine frosting.
1. Put tangerine juice and peel zest in blender, liquefy.
2. Cream the cream cheese and butter.
3. Mix in tangerine puree.
4. Add the confectioners sugar.
About the solar cooker
Pretty much any solar cooker will do for the above recipe but July used a car shade solar cooker. Below is a photo of her cooker being used to cook a turkey in late November. See the car sunshade solar cooker page for more about this type of cooker.